Colombian conch fritters
- 2 cups conch meat, pounded, chopped fine (or substitute clams)
- ¼ cup onions, grated
- ¼ cup , ripe olives, chopped fine
- 4 tsp pimento, chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp tarragon
- 3 dash habanero hot sauce
- 1 habanero chile, stemmed, minced
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- ½ cup flour, all-purpose, sifted
- 1 egg, well beaten
- oil, olive—for frying
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the baking powder, flour, egg, andolive oil and set aside.
- In another bowl, sift the baking powder and flour together and mix with the egg.
- Add the first mixture to the egg mixture, stir well, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the oil in a frying pan and bring up to 380°F.
- Carefully drop dough balls into the oil and cook until brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.